- 8 ounces whole wheat bowtie pasta
- (1) 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup feta crumbles
- 1 ripe but slightly firm avocado, pitted and diced
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish with basil leaves, torn or chiffonade
- First, make the dressing by adding all ingredients to a blender. You can also whisk them together in a medium bowl, but you’ll need to make sure that the basil is finely diced. Set aside the dressing until pasta is ready.
- Next, cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Al dente is best here. Once pasta is done, rinse with cool water and drain, then add to a large bowl.
- Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, feta, avocado, red onion and optional olives. Fold in dressing and gently stir until pasta is well combined. Season with freshly ground black pepper and torn basil leaves. Serves 6.