This skillet gnocchi bake features rich tomato sauce, tender kale, Italian sausage and plenty of cheese for a winter dinner that’s as cozy as it is easy to make. (It’s ready in 45 minutes, after all.)
• 1 pound Italian sausage (sweet or hot), casings removed, crumbled
• 1 yellow onion, chopped
• 1 bunch kale, leaves stripped and torn
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 12 ounces tomato sauce
• 1 pound gnocchi (fresh or shelf-stable, not dried)
• 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, shredded
• ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
• Fresh basil and crushed red pepper flakes, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. In a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage and onion, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is browned and the onion is soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the kale and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the garlic and tomato paste, followed by the tomato sauce. Stir in the gnocchi.
3. Top the gnocchi with the mozzarella and Parmesan. Transfer to the oven and bake until the cheese is bubbly and the gnocchi is tender, 17 to 20 minutes. Top with fresh basil and crushed red pepper flakes before serving.