Hundreds of Illinois College (IC) students participated GLOCAL, a weeklong campaign to empower students to think globally and act locally through a variety of service projects, during the first week of April.
Service is an expectation and hallmark of Illinois College and GLOCAL serves as the culmination of learning and leadership experiences for students on the Hilltop.
In total, 375 students were engaged in 17 community projects to benefit local and international organizations including Big Brothers Big Sisters – Bowl for Kids Sake, Morgan County Animal Control, Western Illinois Youth Camp, Cuddles for Kids Teddy Bear Drive for the Jacksonville Police Department, the Central Illinois Blood Bank, Jacksonville Area Baseball Fields, The Phoenix Center in Springfield, The National Marrow Donor Program, and several area schools.
The campaign brought together many student organizations, clubs, literary societies, athletic teams, residence halls and general members of the IC community in a collaborative partnership that will have a positive impact to the local community and beyond.
Director of Community Engagement and Service Lori Oldenettel said, “I am always impressed by the can-do attitude of our students and their willingness to embrace service to help others.”
GLOCAL is a weeklong campaign to encourage Illinois College students to think globally about issues they feel passionate about and to act on those concerns locally. Student organizations, clubs, athletic teams, residence halls and individuals students are encouraged to participate in service, awareness events and/or activities.
This week seventeen different projects took place to support various community efforts, which include:
· Western IL Youth Camp – Illinois College Football Team – Preparing grounds for campers
· Jacksonville Area Baseball & Softball Fields – Illinois College Softball Team – Preparing the fields for spring leagues
· Big Brothers Big Sisters of West Central IL – Chi Beta – fundraising event to support Bowl For Kids’ Sake
· Be the Match – Alpha Phi Omega, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Colleges Against Cancer, Anatomy and Physiology II Class – Bone Marrow Registry
· District 117 Youth – Tomorrow’s Teachers & Parker After Park – Science Night
· Morgan County Animal Control – Sigma Phi Epsilon – Dog Walking
· Cuddles for Kids & Jacksonville Police Department – Sigma Phi Epsilon – New Teddy Bear Collection Drive
· Sprit of Faith – Japanese Club – After school mentoring with youth
· Salem Lutheran, Eisenhower, Lincoln and Washington Elementary Schools – Student Athletic Advisory Council (SAAC) – SAAC Reads
· District 117 – Tomorrow’s Teachers – Evening tutoring program
· Central IL Blood Bank – Alpha Phi Omega (APO) – Blood Donations
· Big Brothers Big Sisters Bowl for Kids Sake – Chi Beta and Sigma Phi Epsilon – Raised money to support programing
· Lincoln Elementary School – Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) – Volleyball tournament with funds supporting Lincoln Lions Physical Education Program
· Starhill Forest Arboretum – Gamma Delta – Members will be helping to plant trees and prepare the grounds for the spring season
· Nichols Park – Phi Alpha – Members will be helping with park clean-up
· Phoenix Center – SPECTRUM, Black Student Union (BSU) and Students for Sexual & Gender Equality (SAGE) – Pride Prom donations will support the Phoenix Center
· Trivia Night – Alpha Phi Omega (APO) – Fundraiser to support Robin McCoskey fight against cancer