2 cups flour
¾ teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons shortening
1 cup thin cream
2 quarts strawberries
2 cups sugar
½ cup water
1. Sift together flour, salt and baking powder.
2. Rub shortening in with tips of fingers. Add cream, mix with a knife to a soft dough.
3. Knead slightly on a floured surface and divide the dough into two equal parts. Pat and roll each piece to one-half inch thickness; lay one piece in a buttered jelly cake pan, brush over with soft butter and place remaining piece on top.
4. Bake in a hot oven fifteen minutes.
5. Remove from oven; invert cake on a hot serving platter. Remove bottom layer (which is now the top).
6. Spread with soft butter and add a layer of strawberry mixture (directions follow). Sift generously with sugar, replace remaining cake, cover with berries, sprinkle with sugar, mask with whipped cream sweetened and flavored with orange extract.
Wash two quarts strawberries; hull and cut each berry in half. Prepare a syrup by boiling together two cups sugar and ½ cup water four minutes; cool and pour syrup over berries, or sprinkle sugar over berries and let stand one hour. Lift the berries from syrup and place between layer and on top of short cake. Strain syrup into a pitcher or bowl and pass with each portion of short cake.
Source: Gutenberg.org, Fifty-Two Sunday Dinners, A Book of Recipes by Elizabeth O. Hiller & favpng.com