Founded in 1896, the mission of the Passavant Area Hospital Auxiliary is to advance and promote the welfare of Passavant Area Hospital through ways approved by the Passavant Area Hospital Board of Directors.
This is accomplished by:
· Interpreting to the public the functions, services, and needs of the hospital;
· Providing services to the hospital and its patients;
· Raising funds in a manner satisfactory to the Board of Directors of the Hospital and in harmony with the planning of the community.
The Auxiliary serves a three-fold purpose:
· To provide scholarships for employees seeking to further health care training;
· To purchase needed items requested by various hospital departments;
· To offer various outreach services and programs to support and promote Passavant in Jacksonville and the surrounding community.
The Auxiliary sponsors and organizes numerous fundraisers throughout the year, led by an annual holiday Bazaar each November (last year’s event raised more than $30,000). Other fundraisers include yearly uniform, sportswear, book and jewelry sales. The Auxiliary also receives profits from its popular Gift Shop, located in the hospital’s main lobby.
The Auxiliary is committed to promoting education. Many nursing scholarships are granted to employees working toward advanced healthcare degrees. If they meet the criteria and the funds are available, full-time, part-time and per diem employees may apply for $700 scholarships up to three times per year. In fiscal year 2015-2016, the Auxiliary awarded 72 scholarships totaling $49,590.45. An additional $1000 was given to the Illinois Hospital Association (IHA) for scholarships.
One of the Auxiliary’s major purposes is to help support various departments of the hospital with their needs. Items purchased within the last several years include:
· C-arm portable X-ray unit for Surgical Department
· iPads with iTunes for Speech Therapy Department
· 60 Flatscreen TVs for patient rooms.
· 2 GlideScopes for the Emergency Room and Operating Room
· Recumbent Cross Trainer for Cardiac/Pulmonary Rehabilitation
· 4 Physio-Control Lifepak 500 AED Mobile Responders for Rehab. Services/Team Rehab
· Lifeline vehicle
· Audio/video system for meeting rooms
· Paramedic vehicle
· Stress echocardiography system
The Auxiliary supports other outreach services and programs such as the Central Illinois Community Blood Center, Mini-Medical Days (hospital tours for local and area second graders), the Illinois Hospital Association (IHA) Volunteer Leadership Conference, and the IHA Political Action Committee.
If you want to join the Passavant Auxiliary, annual membership is $10; single life membership is $150; and married couple life membership is $250. Either mail or bring a check to the Volunteer Department. The mailing address is Passavant Area Hospital, Volunteer Department, 1600 W. Walnut Street, Jacksonville, IL 62650. Please include your name, mailing address, and phone number.